Cricket/about gaurd taken by batsman.

Question
Sir,
We all know that when a new batsman comes to crease, he takes the guard and umpire helps him. I wonder that why lines are not given in front of every wicket. Doing so is time saving and also comfortable for batsman as well as for umpire.

Answer
Dear Prasoon,

Thanks for a nice suggestion. When batsman comes, he is not supposed to face the ball immediately. He likes to get the feel of the pitch his surroundings and of the pitch. He comes, looks around the field then he will take guard, these all things are essential to boost up his confidence. If everything is ready then what is use of umpires? If lines are readily drawn, these lines may differ when batsman takes a fresh guard. These lines are often to get erased when batsman plays and takes stance around that area. Again the groundsmen are to be called to draw fresh lines, this may also waste time, when batsmen at the crease wants it to be redrawn. All batsmen don't need all the lines to be drawn at a time. They just ask the umpire, they may require.

Moreover, only the specific lines are drawn, which are earmarked in the cricket laws. There is no mention of lines to be drawn for batsmen;s guard. Few batsmen prefer the guard very close to the stumps, some batsmen may like to have their guard in front of the wicket outside the popping crease. So there are certain things of the game, which are also knows as tradition of the game, may not change even in the years to come.

Hope my views are just personal and open for correction. Thanks for getting back to me after quite some time. Your suggestions and views regarding this rich game are most welcome.

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 02/03/2014)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre