Cricket/Fielder movement (especially during field restrictions)

I have a specific question which shall help me understand the laws of Cricket, so that we don't play by game exploiting the 'grey-areas' rules if we may call.

We play cricket in a fairly smaller ground with powerplay restrictions. My question is: Can a fielder standing at the edge of the circle (powerplay restricted inner-circle) move/run back towards the boundary line right after the ball leaves the bowler during the delivery stride or should he wait for the batsmen to complete the shot?

Please explain and educate us about what the Cricket laws say.

Thank you!

ANSWER: Dear Vishwa,

The rules says regarding field restriction that the minimum required fielders should be inside at the instant of a delivery. It is difficult to point out exact position of a fieldsman while concentrating on other aspects of the game. Only either umpire can point out whether a fielder was inside or outside the circlet, but infringing line is very difficult for them to judge.

So as soon the ball leaves fielders have no control of their movement as they have to move in the direction of the ball played by the striker. So fielder can move immediately after the ball is delivered by the bowler.

Hope you understand and your doubts are cleared with this.

Thanks for your question.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 09032014)

QUESTION: Thank you Sir.

So does the law say that fielders can move right after the ball leavea bowler's hand? There might be no big difference if a fast bowler bowls but when a spinner bowls a slow and loopy ball, the fielder on move can significantly cover lot of ground or alter his original fielding position, by the time the batsman plays or prepares to play the shot. This scenario needs precise answer/rule. At what point in play, the bowl being bowled, can a fielder start to move out of minimum field restrictions?

Dear Vishwa,

Thanks for getting back to me for further carifications.

There is not prescribed time for the fielder's movement. But by convention it is the practice of all fielders to take start as soon as the bowler takes his start to deliver the next delivery. If it is observed by either umpire or if he is not satisfied over any other fielder's movement that one of the number of required  fielders is not within the circle when the ball is delivered or at the instant of a delivery, he should call and signal No ball. But better assured the required number of fielders are within the circle or not before dong so.

My personal views differ from the actual cricketing rule. My views always want me to inform both the captains at the time of toss that we want all the required number of fielders to be within the restricted fielding circle when ball comes into play, and that they cannot take start from outside, as we are unable to notice their position at the instant of a delivery as we have to concentrate on other major and important aspects of the proceedings of the game.

This can protect you from unfair play by the fielders and helps you to decide whether to call No ball or not as you have already noticed the position of the fielders and that you can easily call and signal No ball.

Hope this will clear your doubts. You are the judge and you have to supervise the game with your authority, but the same rule should be applicable for both the teams.

Hope you are enjoying my views and you are helping me to refresh my knowledge.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 17/03/2014)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.