Cricket/Umpire reversing his decision.

Can the leg umpire reverse his decision (no- ball for height) after consulting with the main umpire?

Throughout the Laws, unless otherwise stated, "the umpire" refers to the one at the Bowler's .End.

Consequently when Law 42 talks about bouncers and beamers, it ios always the umpire at the Bowler's End that should call and signal No Ball.

This does seem poor as the umpire at the Striker's End does have a much better view of how much the ball is dropping and how far forward the striker has moved.

Many umpires arrange private signals so that the Striker's End umpire can discretely advise his colleague BUT the decision always rests with Bowler's End umpire and the Striker's End umpire should NEVER call No Ball for this reason.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998