Cricket/getting bowled in a beamer

Hello Sir,
I am Vikram Saurabh from pune,India. We have a few questions on the rules for a beamer -

Q1 - If a batsman is standing at his normal stance inside crease and the bowler bowls (over the waist when crossing the batsman) a beamer and hits the stumps will he be out. This could happen if the batsman is say very short 4.5 ft and bowler is tall say 8ft.

Q2 - If the batsman is normally standing outside his crease (before bowler starts his run-up) and then gets a beamer which crashes into the stumps will he be out.

Q3 - If the batsman is within his crease before run-up and charges the bowler as he delivers but gets a beamer which bowls him, will he be declared out.

Q4 - If the batsman is within his crease before bowler delivers and gets a beamer, what happens when he takes an evasion action by jumping out of his crease and the ball hits the stumps, will he be out. What would also happen that while taking evasive action it hits his body over waist and crashes into the stumps, will he be declared out.

Q5 - If a batsman is way outside his crease while playing a shot and the bowler intentionally bowls a ball over his head which he cannot possibly play and that hits the stumps, will he be declared out.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
We in our society play Sunday cricket and have had quite a few discussions over this and we could not get absolute clarity in the rule book

A1 - physically highly unlikely.  If it did happen,then No Ball and Not Out.

A2 - You must judge the height of the ball when it passes the Popping Crease.  If striker is standing forward, it does not matter how high it is when the ball passes him.

A3 - same.

A4(i) - unless situation is as described in Q1, this is physically impossible.  The fact that the striker moves makes no difference to the height of the ball.

A4(ii) - if he is close to the Popping Crease when it hits him above waist then it must be a No Ball.

A5 - Any delivery above head height (standing upright at Popping Crease) then it is a No Ball. (Law 42.6(b) and 42.7)

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998