Cricket/real sceneario.

QUESTION: Sir, I wanna ask that if an outfielder moves outside the boundary in order to stop a six before arriving the ball to him. The ball will be: no ball or legall ball?

ANSWER: Dear Parsoon,

Thanks for your question. Your question is not clear, outfielder moves outside the boundary, what does it mean?

Normally all the players have to get into the boundary line when bowler starts his run um. If it is noticed that he has remained outside the boundary and then comes to field the ball, it would be either four or six. Once he is inside and then while fielding the ball he may happen to go outside and then come back, fine. If he is inside while taking the catch but momentum takes him outside, but before he goes out he throws the ball in the air so that he can control his further moment and come back inside to take that catch fairly. But he can not purely field from outside the boundary line, it would be either four or six.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 10/05/2014)

Pardon for my unclear question. What I wanna ask is that if a batsman hit a ball for six. Fielder on the boundary line calculated that ball will fall 6-7 steps after the boundary rope. If he moves outside the boundary line and pushes the ball inside by taking a jump. Ball will be : no ball or legall ball. I know it is declared as six but want to know that since fielder obstruct the rule of not moving outside,  umpire calls the ball legally or not?

ANSWER: Dear Parsoon,

If any time a fielder goes outside and touching any part outside the boundary line, while the ball in his hands, its a boundary-six, and there is no question of ball's legality or change in legality of the delivery. Fielder can field the ball or touch the ball outside the boundary subject to not touching the ground or the boundary wall, while handling the ball. If he jumps outside the boundary and thereby pushes the ball inside the boundary without landing or touching the ground outside the boundary, he or other fielder can take the catch or field the ball fairly.

Hope this will clear your doubts. Thanks again for getting back to me and clear your doubts.

With best wishes,

SUhas Sapre (Bardoa 18/05/2014)

please try to understand my question, it never happened till now. It is just my imagination scenario. If the ball falls 2 meters outside the boundary rope, it is a six. Normally no fielder can stop it. But my scene is player at the boundary rope goes 2 meter outside boundary, jumps when ball arrives and push the ball inside and then came inside boundary.. is it legal or not?

Hi Prasoon,

Yes its a fair catch. Just remember, at no time he had landed outside the boundary until he comes into contact with the ball, then he comes inside takes the catch. Its a great catch.

Thanks. Ok, Now doubts are cleared. Fine

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 01/06/2014)

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.