Cricket/Selection for Association

Question
Hi Sir, Swapnil again here for your guidance.......

Sir, as you know that I have a great interest in the field of cricket umpiring, I have to do something different in my career for umpiring. As you once told me that Gujarat Cricket Association is conducting coaching classes for new umpires under the guidance of Mr. Amish Saheba Sir, I registered for the coaching. They are conducting the classes from 2 - 6 October in Ahmadabad. But unfortunately, my engineering practical exam dates are clashing. At this moment, I am not getting the right coaching in Pune.  

One friend of mine from Mumbai Cricket Association, told me that Level 0 exams were conducted in late August, and on 25 September the results were declared and the practical exams are going to conduct on 5 and 6 October on Wankhede Stadium immediately. Sir, we both have started umpiring in local matches at the same time and he got the chance to prove himself within 2 - 3 months. If I go through Maharashtra Cricket Association here in Pune, then nearly 2 - 3 years will take place to match with him.. Sir, I am not comparing myself with him, but it's the issue of different associations planning.

Right now, the working of PDCA and Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA ) for helping new umpires is very very dull.. There are many friends of mine in PDCA and MCA who have passed their LEVEL 0 exam last 5 - 6 years ago. Still they are at the same struggling level. Even practical exam after LEVEL 0 has not been conducted for them till date.

Sir, one personal guidance is required for my career selection. Sir, my parents are planning to buy a home in Navi Mumbai ( Sanpada ) for my cricket umpiring career. After completing my Computer Engineering ( BE ) studies in next 6 to 8 months, I wanted to shift from Pune to Mumbai for cricket. Sir, will it be fine to shift to Mumbai for cricket, so that a proper coaching and full time umpiring will be possible keeping my career in mind as the goal ?

Sir, please assume that I am your son and you have to decide what decision should be taken for the young umpire which will last for entire his career and his life...  

Sir, can you please help me to guide through this situation... Sir, I am waiting for your reply...
Thank You Sir,

Swapnil Awekar, Pune.
9595245728.

Answer
Dear Swapnil,

I read the contents and would like to advise as under.

Its a great idea to m/ake a career in cricket Umpiring and that will keep you all time in touch with cricket. I hope you must have played some level of cricket. You must have developed your cricketing skill along with playing. Playing cricket and officiating a match are two different things. Umpiring is a vast area and need a great determination and you should be devoted to this assignment.

Mumbai is a much better place for learning and gaining umpiring knowledge. Mumbai has got lot of talents and they have very nice system to upgrade the new young umpires. There are lot of senior umpires who organize regular classes during July-August, under the banner of Mumbai Cricket Association. There are lot of cricket tournaments and you may get better exposure to a very competitive cricket. Once you attend classes and appear and clear the Mumbai cricket association, you get more wightage and you can easily reach some good level of umpiring. People in Mumbai, too are different and may or may not guide you properly, unless you have better rapport with some senior umpires. Looking at the increasing number of candidates, there seems to be more competition in Mumbai, whereas in Maharashtra you may not face this problem to clear this hurdles. Maharashtra Cricket Association has less number of candidates than Mumbai. So you can leave your head quarter for certain reasons but still you need to be a member of Maharashtra C A.

Moreover, you must develop good relation with local people and you should be low profile and not out spoken. Get on with the things as they come but you should avoid becoming over smart in this field.

You need not come to Ahmedabad rather than concentrating on your studies. Career should be given top priority and not hobby. You can develop your hobby of umpiring and then try to convert it into profession. Becoming umpire needs lot of courage, sound health, standing long hours in sun and needs lot of dedication and concentration.

At present I have this much to offer and now the ball is in your court to decide.

Whatever decision you take, I am sure it will be a good one.

With regards and best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 29/09/2014)

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre