Cricket/regarding lbw.

Question
sir,
i want to know complete summary about lbw out rules, specially when batsman doesn't offer any shot. Please help!

Answer
Dear Prasoon,

Let me wish you a prosperous and happy New Year, a bumper 2015 ! Thanks for your question after quite a long time.

Leg Before Wicket is found to be tough decision by many umpires, but its not so in my dictionary. If I have to decide 100 LBW decisions, I may err on a very few occasions, because it requires utter concentration and practice of watching both the flight and pitching of the delivery. The more you pick up the flight and its pitching I think it will not allow you to make more mistakes. By the way, I would just tell you in brief the points to remember for LBW and you will do the best performance.

1. Naturally it should be a fair delivery (This is the primary condition for further consideration)
2. Next thing you have to watch its pitching.

It should pitch on the off side of the striker's wicket or in line between wicket and wicket.

3, The impact should be outside the line of the off stump or in line between the two sets of wickets.

4. For Pitching outside the off stump you must know the following points,

Pitching outside the line of the off stump

a. If the ball is pitching outside the line of the off stump of the striker's wicket, and if in the opinion of the Bowler's end umpire, the batsman makes no attempt to play the ball,and  had the ball had not been intercepted by striker's person, other than his bat and hands holding the bat,and even if the impact is outside the off stump, and if the ball would have gone to hit the wicket, the striker will be given out "LBW".

b.  But if the striker makes a genuine attempt to play the ball, pitching outside the line of the off stump and even though the ball would have gone to hit the wicket, the striker will not be given out "LBW"

5. The ball is intercepted full toss by the striker which is in line  between wicket and wicket
even if the striker has played too far in front of the wicket.

6. The ball should have been intercepted by striker's pad and his person other than his bat and hands holding the bat. Striker cannot be given out for bat and pad, double shots, but for the reverse double shot, means pad and bat will be given out "LBW", if other conditions meet.

7. In any above case the ball would have gone to hit the wicket.

8. The ball pitching outside the leg stump would never claim a wicket of LBW.

These are the main points to be remembered to give LBW decision and I am sure you will not make any mistake as far as LBW is concerned.

With all best wishes,

Suhas Sapre (Baroda 03/01/2015/  

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre