There is a confusion in declaring an innings closed? On a second day of a multi day match, a batting side captain opted for heavy rolling before half an hour of sch. start of play. Suddenly he changes his mind and declares his innings closed after 15 minutes. Can he declare his innninsg closed ? Can opposite captain have the option to roll the pitch again before the start of his innings?

Law 14.1 says
The captain of the side batting may declare an innings closed, when the ball is dead, at any time during the innings.

Law 14.3 says
A captain shall notify the opposing captain and the umpires of his decision to declare or to forfeit an innings. Law 10.1(e) (Insufficient time to complete rolling) shall apply.

Law 10.1(e) says
If, when a captain declares an innings closed, ... there is insufficient time for the pitch to be rolled for 7 minutes, ... the batting captain shall nevertheless be permitted to exercise his option to have such rolling. The time by which the start of the innings is delayed on that account shall be taken out of normal playing time.

In your situation, 15 minutes would be sufficient time.

Law 10.1 (a) says
During the match the pitch may be rolled at the request of the captain of the batting side, for a period of not more than 7 minutes, before the start of each innings, other than the first innings of the match, and before the start of each subsequent day’s play.

The first captain asks for rolling correctly and then declares.  There is nothing to prevent the second captain to ask for (extra) rolling.

If he does so, then surely the first captain cannot complain - he asked for it in first place!  

What might have been unfair had he asked for rolling when it was not necessary and then declared!  The second captain might not have wanted it rolled at all.  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998