Dear Sir,

A substitute is on the field of play for a nominated player since start of the match for wholly acceptable reason.  After sometime nominated player informs that he won't be able to come and play.  

Fielding side captain then makes the request for replacement i.e. the substitute who has been on the field of play, to be made as a Nominated Player to take a full part.

Should the request to be passed on to the opponent captain to take his consent?
Is there any time restriction "After Nomination of Player", for request of replacement of player? i.e. Request for replacement should be made after the nomination but only before the play begins.

Law 1.2 says
Each captain shall nominate his players in writing to one of the umpires before the toss. No player may be changed after the nomination without the consent of the opposing captain.

In your case, the request should be referred to opposing captain.  There is no restriction on timing.  

There have been instance in English First Class County matches on THIRD day and in second innings when absentee has already batted once!

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998