Cricket/Rolling

Question
An innings end at the stroke of lunch & batting side captain wants immediate rolling.  will he be allowed?

Thanks
Deepak

Answer
The batting captain is entitled to request rolling between innings.

Law 10.1(d) talks about Timing of rolling permitted before play begins on any day shall be started not more than 30 minutes before the time ... for play to begin. The captain of the batting side may, however, delay the start of such rolling until not less than 10 minutes ... should he so wish.

The only other Law about timing specifies that it should not delay the restart.

The timing is normally at the convenience of the Curator.

I cannot understand why the captain should wish to have an early rolling.

If the opposition captain objects to the timing, then by the time this has been discussed and the roller brought out, it will be almost certainly within the 30 minutes, if they wish to quote that as a precedent!

Cricket

Colin Pearson