Cricket/Hit the Wicket

Question
Batsman facing the spin bowler. The batsman try to play the ball is not in crease.The ball hit the pad and goes toward the wicket keeper after hitting the pad. The wicket keeper  try to stump the batsman but the ball comes out of gloves and roll towards the stump. But the batsmen does not know about the what happen behind him. When he looked back he saw the ball roll down towards the wicket. So he assume that the ball is going straight to wicket after hitting his pad and he might bowled if ball hit the wicket and if bail ground. So to save himself he try to stop the ball  being roll down towards the wicket with his bat. But unfortunately he hit the wicket in this action. Now my question is that ball is not dead here. If wicket keeper collect the ball and hit the wicket again the bats man may stumped out. The bats man is not the hit the wicket in the same bating action. So my question is that whether the batsman will declared out hit the wicket if opponent appeal for out.

Answer
I would consider Law 35.1 (iv) ... in lawfully making a second or further stroke for the purpose of guarding his wicket within the provisions of Law 34.3 (Ball lawfully struck more than once).

If you did not consider he was guarding his wicket, then he would be out for Obstructing the Field!

Cricket

Colin Pearson