Cricket/Injured batsman resume his innings

Question
QUESTION: Respected Sir, If less than 2 minutes remain for interval, when over is in progress. one of the batsman get injured & retired. If I am right Umpire will call Time for interval. If this is so shall the injured batsman (if he become fit) resume his innings after the interval when umpire call for play? or whether he has to wait until other batsman get dismissed or retired? what is criteria if the same situation arise at tea interval & already 8 wickets are down?

ANSWER: I think you are looking a little too deeply into the intricacies of Law in a very unusual situation.

Umpires should use common sense to facilitate the game without being officious.

If the batsman retires with an injury within 2 minutes of tea, then umpire calls time.
There can be no delay because there are not 9 wickets down.

That batsman can only resume when another wicket falls.

I have previously been asked a slightly more complex situation as follows:

The batsman is injured and starts to receive first aid on the field.  The umpires decide to stop for tea in order to save time.  In this situation, the batsman has not retired and can resume after tea.

Who is running your training courses?  Have they referred you to Tom Smith or MCC Open Learning Manual?

QUESTION: Respected sir, at present nobody is running my training courses. I study my own with help of laws downloaded from internet. But frankly though nobody is training me, indirectly only you are my Guru (Teacher). So thanks for your kind co-operation. Sir, here is my another dought on your example stated in your previous answer i.e. "The batsman is injured and starts to receive first aid on the field.  The umpires decide to stop for tea in order to save time.  In this situation, the batsman has not retired and can resume after tea". Law 16.5 (a) says that over in progress at the agreed time of interval should be completed before call of time for interval unless law 16.5 (b)(i) & (ii). So in your stated example by which law umpire will call time for tea?

Answer
Umpires should use common sense to maximise playing time and enjoyment of players.

Do try to get a copy of Tom Smith's book - should be available from Marine Sports.  Theo Braganza or Marcus Cuoto may be able to tell you of some local contacts in umpiring courses.

You may also look at the Laws in Action section of MCC.org's website.

Cricket

Colin Pearson