Cricket/Question related to Keeping and Bowling

1) Is it mandatory for a Wicket keeper to wear the Pads?
( In a match, Dhoni gave his pads to Rahane and did keeping without pads for the rest of the over...)

2) Can a Wicket keeper stand with only one glove on in order to get the batsman runout when he tries for a single ?
( we usually see it in the death overs )
3) As per the rule, Wicket keeper is allowed to move forward for 1 or 2 steps when the ball is in the play, but can he move much further when he sees the batsman going down the track to play a shot?
4) A bowler usually mentions his guard say for example, right arm over or around.. But is it mandatory to mention whether he is going to bowl spin or medium pace?

It is optional for keeper to wear pads and gloves.

However he is the only fielder allowed to wear external protection.

If Rahane stood in tradional keeper position and Dhoni did not wear gloves, then OK.  Otherwise wrong.

He can wear one glove.  If ball hits other glove, then 5 runs.

Under new Law 40.4(iii) keeper can move in response to striker's action.  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998