Cricket/Striker with Runner3

Respected Sir, Thanks for your previous answer on subject ‘Striker with Runner’. Now its cleared to me about run out & stumped out cases for Striker with Runner. There is still little bit confusion in my mind about the other method of dismissal for striker with runner. Here it is.
  Injured striker is on strike. If firstly Runner is liable to be dismissed under ‘obstructing the field’ or ‘Run Out’ on one of the delivery. Suppose on same delivery if Striker who has runner is also liable to be dismissed under the possibility he could. In such case will give injured striker out for his contravention or for Runner’s contravention? For my explanation I am giving one example. The injured striker hits the ball to square leg, the injured striker's runner deliberately obstruct the fielder at square leg. But fielder some how managed it & throw the ball to wicket keeper. The wicket keeper put down the wicket fairly when the injured batsman who has runner is out of his ground.
  Your explanation with principle will be more helpful to me. So waiting for your earlier reply, Thanks once again!

There are two principles involved.

I have already explained that, as far as "Out of Ground" decisions are concerned, consider Striker first and Runner second.

However there is also the principle of what happened first.  I would apply that in the case cited - Striker is out Obstructing the Field because of his Runner's action.

The Laws do specify some occasions when "what happened first" does not apply - for example Bowled overrides LBW.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998