Cricket/Wicket is down

While attempting first run fielder threw the ball towards bowlers end wicket which disloged one bail completely from top of the stump but batsman was well within his ground. Having looked that the ball has gone some yards away Batsmen attempted secound run. Again there is throw by another fielder to make batsman runout. This time if following cases happens then whether or not the batsman runout if he is out of his ground? 1) the ball hits that stump on which remaining bail was present but bail did not get completely removed. 2) the ball hits that stump on which remaining bail was not present.

Law 28.2 is quite clear:

If one bail is off, it shall be sufficient for the purpose of putting the wicket down to remove the remaining bail
or to strike or pull any of the three stumps out of the ground, in any of the ways stated in 1 above.

Your first question is Not Out

The second one depends whether the ball has knocked the stump out of the ground.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998