Cricket/9 fieldsmen on the fence

Question
would you, as an umpire, consider that placing 9 fieldsmen 0n the fence/rope as " not playing within the spirit of the game" .Perhaps you may speak to the fielding captain asking him to reconsider his field placements with respect to the spirit of the game or would you say nothing even if it went on for a number of overs as I witnessed this weekend. I understand there is no law to manage this situation but it left a sour taste in my mouth as a spectator.

Answer
It seems to me that this is a perfectly legitimate tactic, albeit a little mean!

There are no grounds for an umpire intervening under Spirit of the Game.

The batsmen can play carefully since there is no chance of a catch and could probably take one or two runs every ball, which would encourage some fielders to be placed closer.

Cricket

Colin Pearson