Cricket/non striker run out or Not out ?

While delivering the ball, bowler accidentally(not attempted intentionally) dislodge bail from wicket at his end by bowling hand with ball in his hand. At this same moment non-striker was out of his ground. Also Due to impact with wicket bowler dropped the ball accidentally.

1. Is non-striker out run-out on appeal?
2. Is it a No Ball or Dead ball?

Mayur Wankhade

Sorry about delay - original email seems to have gone astray.

MCC Law 42.15. Bowler attempting to run out non-striker before delivery
".... BEFORE entering delivery stride ...."
So Not Out.

Whilst breaking wicket in delivery stride is a No Ball
  (Always assuming that he does deliver the ball)
Law 23.4(viii) says that the umpire shall call Dead Ball if the bowler drops the ball prior to delivery.

He should therefore revoke the No Ball call - if he has had time to call it.

The answer is simply Dead Ball

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998