Cricket/Short run strike change

My query is if batsman taken 2 runs &  one umpire declares 1 run short. Then umpire gives 1 run to total. But my question is if 1 run only allowed , then will the strike change and   Batsman initially taken  the strike now moves to non stricker since 1 run is short for 2 runs taken

A very interesting question that made me think hard about what I have been doing and teaching for 54 years!

I assume you are asking about accidental short runs rather than deliberate unfair play.

We, correctly, do not require the batsmen to change ends to reflect the score - but why not?

Law 18.11 (b)(ii) does say they should be returned in the event of disallowance of runs.

However, Tom Smith pp 100-102 makes it clear that accidental short runs are simply considered as incomplete rather than being disallowed for some specific illegal activity.

In the event of deliberate short runs, then every run is disallowed and the striker will go back to starting point!

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998