the batsmen start to run for a leg bye which the umpire is going to disallow. The non striker calls and turns for the second run before he has completed the first run. When do you call dead ball?

In the unlikely event that the umpire considers that the short run was deliberate, he should intervene immediately under Law 18.5

In the normal situation, for this purpose, he would take the view that the batsman believes he has completed his first run and has started on his second run.  Indeed if it were a legitimate run and the second run was aborted, Tom Smith page 101 says that first run is deemed complete even if he never makes his ground before the next delivery - still vulnerable to Run Out.

Consequently, the umpire would call Dead Ball as soon as he sees the batsman committed to the second run.  The main purpose of Law 26.3 is to give fielders a reasonable chance of running batsman out whilst not wasting too much time.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998