Cricket/Maximum Legside fielders when bowling around the wicket

Hello Sir,
        This is Surya Prakash from Chennai. During a local tournament i was called no ball, since i was bowling with 5 fielders on the legside and bowling around the wicket. Is this true.? I was told that since am bowling around the wicket i will be taken as the 6th fielder. Is this true. Does the Wicket Keeper and Bowler considered as fielders.

MCC Law specifies that there must be no more than two fielders behind the Popping Crease on the Leg side at the INSTANT of DELIVERY.

There is no restriction of five fielders - I assume this is a local regulation.

At the instant of delivery, the bowler is NOT a fielder.

Without seeing the exact wording of your regulations, I feel that you should not be penalised for bowling round the wicket.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998