Cricket/Stump Out

Question
I was batting in a cricket match.I went down the pitch to play a fast ball but missed it completely because is was too wide down the leg side.The wicket keeper caught the ball,I was still out of crease.The wicket keeper was standing at a distance from the stumps as it was fast ball so,in order to make his attempt more safe he first ran towards the wicket and then hit the wicket with the ball in his hand and claimed for a 'Stump Out'.I am fine with that he held the ball in his hand while hitting the wickets for stump out but my question is that , Is is legal to run towards the wicket to do a stumping or the wicket  keeper has to stay on his feet ? I hope you understand the scenario. Will be waiting for your response

Answer
Until the ball has passed you (or you have made contact with it), the Keeper is restricted by Law 40.4 (significant movement) - also 40.3 (encroachment).

After the ball has reached you, he (and other fielders) have free movement.

Your description suggests he caught the ball before he ran.  This is legal.  You are stumped -the only consolation is that your team should still get one run for the Wide Ball if it was as wide as you describe!

Cricket

Colin Pearson