Cricket/overhead no ball when batsman comes out of the crease

How is overhead no ball defined when batsman comes out of the crease? What if the bowler pitches it short so that the ball passes the batsman, who is standing out of his crease, above his head?

When judging a Bouncer or a Beamer, the Law 42.6(b) says "... would have passed ... height of the striker when standing upright AT THE POPPING CREASE ...."

The striker cannot change a legal delivery into a Beamer (or a bouncer) by advancing down the pitch.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998