Cricket/i want to know for information

sir we played cricket today without bails . i was the batsman played the ball on the time of hiting the ball, i heard the sound of stump fall down due to air so i appealed no ball(dead ball) but the hited ball was caught by the feilder if it is out or dead ball please reply me immediately

A very interesting question.

If the wicket is broken before you receive the delivery, then the umpire should call "Dead Ball" and have it bowled again.

If he does not do so, then the ball is still in play.

If you are distracted by the stump (or bail if used) falling OR any other factor, then you should immediately step away and not attempt to play the ball.  The umpire should then call "Dead Ball".

If you do hit the ball, then you are deemed to have played whilst it is still live and, consequently can be out caught.

A "No Ball" is when the bowler oversteps the crease or throws the ball or there is another infringement by a fielder or wicket keeper.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998