Cricket/REVOCATION OF NO BALL

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,

An Umpire shall revoke the call "no ball" if the ball does not leave the Bowler's hand for any reason.

What is the logic behind this rule?  If Umpire make a mistake, why can't he has the opportunity to revoke the same wherever possible.

we have one incident in our match.

Umpire called no ball by miscounting the number of fielders insider the 30 yards circle.

When the team objects, the umpire also accepts that he made a mistake of counting, but given the reason that, he already called No-ball and he can't revoke as per the law.  

How fair is this for the team which is ultimate sufferer in this scenario and what's wrong if umpire revoke his noball signal.

Please clarify,

K.P.Rao.

ANSWER: Unfortunately the Laws do not cover this situation.

If he revokes his call but allows the delivery to stand, then the striker could have been influenced in his stroke and could now be caught (or bowled or ...).

As a matter of common sense, I would be inclined to cancel the ball completely and have it bowled again.

QUESTION: Slight modification for this question.

Here the batman played the ball, missed and ball settled in the hands of Wicket Keeper.  (At the time of playing the ball by batsman, umpire did not called no ball)  After that Umpire called No-Ball siting the less number of players with in 30 yards circle.

Accordingly, umpire is having the right to use law 27.9 and alter his decision promptly after finding his mistake.

Please clarify.

Answer
Tom Smith makes it clear that an umpire can change his decision provided he does so promptly.

In this scenario, his first action has had no influence on the subsequent play - it was settled in keeper's gloves.  He really should admit his mistake and correct it.

In this case I would count the ball as one of the over.

Cricket

Colin Pearson