Cricket/Wide

Question
Last two batsmen at the wicket and  the scores are level.
the bowler bowls a wide  but the batsman is out stumped.

Does The wide count as a run so the batters have won?

If so how did the batters win, by one wicket or one run.
The latter being an unusual result for a team batting second .

Could it be said the wide was given before the stumping hence the game actually finished before the keeper removed the bails.

Answer
Law 21.6 makes it clear that once the batters have scored (or been awarded) sufficient runs to win, then the game is at an end and nothing else counts.

In your case, as soon as the umpire has called Wide, then the batters have won by one wicket (subject to any errors in scorebook or penalties for slow over rate etc!)

It is likely that the umpire may not be quick enough to call the wide than the keeper in removing the bails BUT the actual Wide physically happened first so that precedes the stumping.

Law 25.3(a) instructs the umpire not to call Wide until after the ball has passed the stumps.  This avoids the need to revoke it if the Striker does actually make a late contact with the ball.  It also says that it is Wide from the instant of delivery.

Since the call of Wide has no effect on subsequent play (eg Striker can still be out in any physical way possible - there is no protection - unlike No Ball), umpires see little urgency in calling Wide.

Cricket

Colin Pearson