Cricket/Out without appeal

Hi Sir,

Striker is caught by the bowler on valid delivery.  But bowler does not appeal.  Instead he puts the wicket down at the non striker end when the non striker is out of his ground and then appeals for non striker's run out.

Who is out?  Even though the "Caught Out" takes the precedence over "Run Out", should umpire give the striker out without the appeal made for 'Caught Out'?

The umpire can only give a decision if he receives an appeal.

If the ball is caught, then the Striker may accept that he is dismissed and leave the field.

If however, there is no appeal and he stands his ground, then the umpire must give the non-striker run out.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998