Cricket/Out without appeal

Question
Hi Sir,

Striker is caught by the bowler on valid delivery.  But bowler does not appeal.  Instead he puts the wicket down at the non striker end when the non striker is out of his ground and then appeals for non striker's run out.

Who is out?  Even though the "Caught Out" takes the precedence over "Run Out", should umpire give the striker out without the appeal made for 'Caught Out'?

Answer
The umpire can only give a decision if he receives an appeal.

If the ball is caught, then the Striker may accept that he is dismissed and leave the field.

If however, there is no appeal and he stands his ground, then the umpire must give the non-striker run out.

Cricket

Colin Pearson