Cricket/No Ball

A bowler breaks the wicket during his delivery stride.  Bowler realises it and does not deliver the ball (ball remains in his hand)  

Should the umpire call 'No Ball', even if the bowler does not deliver the ball (Law 24.6)?
Should the umpire call 'Dead Ball' because ball is not delivered (Law 23.4(b)(ix)?

If the bowler breaks the wicket, the umpire should call "No Ball" IF he is quick enough.

However if the bowler does not deliver the ball, then the umpire must call "Dead Ball" and also revoke the  "No Ball" (if he was too quick!)

Law 24.6 says .... No Ball if ... the bowler breaks the wicket at any time after the ball comes into play and before he completes the stride after the delivery stride.

Law 24.10  says An umpire shall revoke his call of No ball if the ball does not leave the bowler’s hand for any reason.

This should also apply if he drops the ball or otherwise does not bowl it properly - as often happens if his hand hits the stumps.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998