Cricket/out Caught

Question
A fielder standing near the boundary takes the catch. He has full control on it. Now while enjoying, he inadvertently goes out of the field of play with ball is still in his hand.
Is batsman out or is it a boundary?.

Thanks
Deepak

Answer
Law 32.4 (in part) says:
A catch shall not be made and a Boundary 6 shall be scored if ... a fielder ... after catching it subsequently touches ... or crosses ... the boundary while carrying the ball but before completing the catch as defined in Law 19.4 which says "The act of making the catch, or of fielding the ball, shall start from the time when the ball first comes into contact with some part of a fielder’s person and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball and over his own movement."

It would appear that in your case, the fielder has full control of ball and his own movement.  If so, then the umpire should decide that the catch is complete before he crossed the boundary and the striker is out caught.

Cricket

Colin Pearson