Cricket/out Caught

A fielder standing near the boundary takes the catch. He has full control on it. Now while enjoying, he inadvertently goes out of the field of play with ball is still in his hand.
Is batsman out or is it a boundary?.

Law 32.4 (in part) says:
A catch shall not be made and a Boundary 6 shall be scored if ... a fielder ... after catching it subsequently touches ... or crosses ... the boundary while carrying the ball but before completing the catch as defined in Law 19.4 which says "The act of making the catch, or of fielding the ball, shall start from the time when the ball first comes into contact with some part of a fielder’s person and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball and over his own movement."

It would appear that in your case, the fielder has full control of ball and his own movement.  If so, then the umpire should decide that the catch is complete before he crossed the boundary and the striker is out caught.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998