Dear Sir,

Has the "Runner" been withdrawn from Cricket dictionary?  
I mean to ask no substitute will henceforth be allowed as a runner to run for a injured batsman.  That injured batsman will either have to play or retire himself.

Await yours..

The word runner still appears in MCC Laws of Cricket.

So far it is onbly ICC Special Regulations that have barred runners.

I do not understand why as I feel a runner is an advantage to the fielding side - three chances of a run out and also more confusion.  As a fielder, if there is any doubt, break wicket at both ends!  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998