Cricket/More than 11 fielder on the field

Question
if there are 12 players fielding on the field of play. Batsman struck the fairly delivered ball which is caught by one of the 12 fielders. Batsman noticed that there are 12 players fielding. He inform it  to umpire. Will batsman is out caught or batsman allowed to continue batting? Whether there is penalty or not?what is the exact procedure umpire should follow in such situation?

Answer
I assume there has been no agreement to field with 12 and that it has not been a deliberate attempt to cheat.

It often happens in junior games when there is a regular rotation of players and there is a misunderstanding.  Umpires need to be alert especially after a resumption of play after a wicket or drinks.

I would invoke Law 42.2. Fair and unfair play - responsibility of umpires

The umpires shall be the sole judges of fair and unfair play. If either umpire considers an action, not covered by the Laws, to be unfair he shall intervene without appeal and, if the ball is in play, call and signal Dead ball and implement the procedure as set out in 18 below.

I would not invoke 42.18 which requires formal reporting.

Although not specifically in Laws, I would allow batsman to continue his innings

Cricket

Colin Pearson