Cricket/Bowler throwing after entering into Delivery Stride

Having seen the striker advance out of his ground, the bowler throws the ball at the strikerís end after entering into his delivery stride. The striker attempts to hit the ball with his bat. The ball, after deflecting from the strikerís bat, hits the stumps thereby putting the wicket down at the strikerís end with the striker out of his ground. The bowler appeals for Run out, the wicket-keeper appeals for Bowled and the captain appeals for Obstructing the Field.

What will be decision?

Law 42.15. Bowler attempting to run out non-striker before delivery

The bowler is permitted, before entering his delivery stride, to attempt to run out the non-striker.

CLEARLY THIS DOES NOT APPLY IN YOUR CASE because he is in delivery stride.

Consequently this must be treated as a normal delivery.

Either umpire should call NO Ball for the throw.

The striker cannot be bowled off a No Ball.

He cannot be Run Out without the intervention of a fielder.

He cannot be Obstructing the field by playing at a delivery!

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998