Cricket/Mandatory overs

Respected Sir, Agreed time for close of play 4.30pm.Last hour of match started at 3.30pm. At 3.40pm 3 overs and 4 balls have been bowled, soon after there is an interruption at 3.40pm. While in pavallion the batting captain declared his innings closed at 3.45pm. If  play resumed at 4.00pm with new inning to start after completion of interruption, how many minimum overs still to bowled in last hour of the match? Pl provide me simple calculation.

Apologies for initially overlooking the final stage in your scenario.

Regret the calculation is not so simple!  My revised answer, based on Law and using your precise times, is:

Law 16.8(b) If the innings ends after the last hour has started, two calculations are to be made, as set out in (c) and (d) below. The greater of the numbers yielded by these two calculations is to be the minimum number of overs to be bowled in the new innings.

[my calculations shown in square brackets]

(c) Calculation based on overs remaining.

At 3:45, we have lost 5 minutes which translates to 1 over lost

(i) At the conclusion of the innings, the number of overs that remain to be bowled, of the minimum in the last hour, to be noted.  [15.2 overs]

(ii) If this is not a whole number it is to be rounded up to the next whole number. [16 overs]

(iii) Three overs, for the interval, to be deducted from the resulting number to determine the number of overs still to be bowled. [13 overs REMAIN - assuming resumption at 3:55 and no time is lost]

In fact, 5 minutes more off the field - translates to 1 more over lost.

HENCE 12 overs remain.

(d) Calculation based on time remaining.

(i) At the conclusion of the innings, the time remaining until the agreed time for close of play to be noted. [3:45 pm means 45 minutes]

(ii) 10 minutes, for the interval, to be deducted from this time to determine the playing time remaining. [35 minutes at 3:55pm]

(iii) A calculation to be made of one over for every complete 3 minutes of the playing time remaining, plus one more over if a further part of 3 minutes remains. [11+1 overs]

Then, still off field for 5 minutes loses 1 more over HENCE 11 overs remain  

So the best answer is 12 overs to be bowled.

In practice, precise times are difficult to establish, so some element of common sense needs to be applied.  For example, had he declared 1 minute later at 3:46 then (c) would work out at 11.  If he declared at 3:44 then (c) would also yield 11 !

It is also difficult to predict the exact time play will resume.

I hope that helps and I trust my arithmetic is correct this time!

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998