The Striker skies the ball high above him and calls the Non-Striker across for a quick single. The skied ball falls close to the batting crease and begins to spin back toward the Striker's wicket. Seeing that the ball may break the wicket, the Non-Striker who is now nearing the Striker's End kicks the ball away. On appeal, what should be the Umpire's decision?

Law 37.1. Out Obstructing the field

Either batsman is out Obstructing the field if he wilfully attempts to obstruct ... by action.  In particular, but not solely, it shall be regarded as obstruction and either batsman will be out Obstructing the field if while the ball is in play and after the striker has completed the act of playing the ball ... he wilfully strikes the ball ...

The Striker does have an exemption under Law 34.1. Out Hit the ball twice BUT this does not extend to the Non-Striker.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998