Cricket/Substitute give or not

Q-1. A player wants to go out for an over to change his T-shirt which is torn while fielding. He goes out an substitute enter in his place. will you allow this?

Q-2. If a fielder or bowler has a Broken sole.  Whether to give substitute or not?

Law 2.1
(b) The umpires shall have discretion to allow, for other wholly acceptable reasons, a substitute fielder.
(c) A player wishing to change his shirt, boots, etc. shall leave the field to do so. No substitute shall be allowed for him.

I should add that this is MCC Laws which apply to most domestic cricket HOWEVER ICC and other governing bodies may have special regulations applicable to particular matches or competitions.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998