Cricket/Wicket at Lunch

Scheduled lunch is at 12 noon.  9th wicket falls at 11.58 am.  What should an umpire do?

ANSWER: Call "Time"

Law 16.5 (b) applies

Law 15.8 only applies to Tea Interval.

Law 16.5(b) states 'when less than 2 minutes remains...'

In the given scenario, wicket falls when exactly 2 minutes are left for lunch. 2 minutes remains is not 'less than 02 minutes remains'.

Is lunch still to be called immediately?

Use common sense.

It is unlikely that
the exact time the ball hits the stumps has been recorded and
umpire is using digital watch.

If 4 or 5 balls remain, I would be inclined to allow #11 to bat if he is ready.
Otherwise, I would prefer to take lunch immediately to save time.

I would also consider player attitudes - if #11 rushes on and fielders are keen to complete the over then I would allow.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998