Cricket/Dismissal vs Out

Question
QUESTION: Sir,

In one-day match, a batsman who has been struggling badly is caught.  but the fielding captain tells the umpire to withdraw the appeal and let the batsman continue.  Should the umpire give his consent to this or not?

Thanks
Deepak

ANSWER: Whatever sort of cricket do you umpire???

Umpires are there to adjudicate on disputes between teams not to interfere unnecessarily or officiously if both sides are in agreement.

27.8 does allow "The captain of the fielding side may withdraw an appeal only if he obtains the consent of the umpire within whose jurisdiction the appeal falls."

It does not specify conditions for the umpire to decide.  The Law is primarily to cope with mistakes (eg close catch just bounced off ground) and unfair situations (eg accidental collision with running batsmen leading to run out).

In your case, I would allow it to be withdrawn BUT I would guess the struggling batsman would be only too glad to retreat to the pavilion anyway.

QUESTION: Sir,

Thanks for your feedback.

Now the question in this case remains that whether the fielding captain tries to gain undue advantage by letting the struggling batsman to remain on the wicket for more time so that this batsman could consume more balls without scoring too many runs. (its a one day match)

Taking this point into consideration, should the umpire give his consent to the request of the fielding captain?

Thanks

Answer
It is not the role of the umpire to override the wishes of both sides unnecessarily..

If the fielding captain wishes to withdraw the appeal, I would let him.  That is his prerogative.

That puts the onus on the struggling batsman.  He may decide to leave the wicket - if so I would record him as Caught.  If he wishes to stay, then the fielding side has what they want!

Cricket

Colin Pearson