Cricket/minimum over calculation

One more doubt on minimum over calculation.

Last hour : 4.30 to 5.30
Captain declares his innings at 4.34.
Interruption started from 4.38 to 4.58.

If we take a whole 24 min (i.e. from 4.34 to 4.58), overs to reduce will be 8 i.e. (24/3)

But if we take 24 min in two parts i.e.
innings interval - 4.34 to 4.44 = 3 overs
interruption - 4.44 to 4.58 = 14/3 = 4 overs (complete 3 min)
we get = 3 + 4 = 7 overs to be reduced.

What is the correct method?

I do not understand how you can say that the interruption started at 4.38.  This was middle of interval.

Play was due to resume at 4.44 with however many overs remaining as calculated by the two alternative methods specified by Laws.

If you are unable to start until 4.58 then you lose 4 overs from that figure.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998