Cricket/Mistake in scoring

Batsmen complete one run required to win the match before the ball crossed the boundary.  After players and umpires had returned to the pavilion, a mistake in scoring is discovered and one more run is required to win the match.

How many runs are scored and which batsman shall face the next delivery?

In the situation described, the boundary should be recognised and then, clearly, there is no need to resume the match.

It is good practice for the umpire to ask the fielding captain if he concedes that he has lost before he calls "Time".  There can be no argument later.

It is also good practice, if two runs are needed, to wait a moment in case colleague calls "One Short"

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998