Cricket/Mistake in scoring

Question
Sir,

Batsmen complete one run required to win the match before the ball crossed the boundary.  After players and umpires had returned to the pavilion, a mistake in scoring is discovered and one more run is required to win the match.

How many runs are scored and which batsman shall face the next delivery?

Bregards
Deepak

Answer
In the situation described, the boundary should be recognised and then, clearly, there is no need to resume the match.

It is good practice for the umpire to ask the fielding captain if he concedes that he has lost before he calls "Time".  There can be no argument later.

It is also good practice, if two runs are needed, to wait a moment in case colleague calls "One Short"

Cricket

Colin Pearson