Cricket/Question regarding Law 16 Last hour if play

Question
Respected Sir,
Myself Anil Kadam and I am appearing for MCA umpire exam to be held in first week of March 2016.I am little bit confusing while calculating the numbers of overs to be bowled in last hour of play so request you to pls clarify the same by answering the below example.
Que.Last hour is 3.15-4.15 Interruption starts at 3.22 for 8 minutes after bowling 2.1 overs.Innings end at 3.41 with further 3.3 overs bowled.Calculate the numbers of overs to be bowled?
My ans is minimum 9 overs to be bowled.

Sir I request you to please give me answer with detailed explanations.

Thanks & Regards,
Anil A Kadam.
9969001551

Answer
Dear Anil,

Thanks for your question, which will start my fresh innings as Yahoo Experts. I was not available for quite a long time due to my service. But since I have opted VRS I am fully available to take care of my budding and novice umpires. Its great that BCCI is going to conduct Level-1 exam. Following is my answer to your query.

Last Hour is scheduled from 3.15 pm to 4.15 pm, and as per BCCI playing condition, 15 minimum overs to be bowled in the last hour, subject to completion of 75 overs of the day.

There will be two separate calculations, when a team gets all out during the last hour of the match.

IST CALCULATION:

Min overs to be bowled   15 overs   OVERS Bowled/Lost      Overs Remained

Play takes place from 3.15 to 3.22      2.1         (15-2.1=12.5)
Interruption time from 3.22 to 3.30=8 mts   2.0         (12.5-2 =10.5)
(4 minutes per over)

Innings in progress ended at 3.41pm
From 3.30 to 3.41= 11 mts         3.3         (10.5-3.3=7.2)
i.e.  all out after 8 overs

Innings interval = 10 mts. Min overs to
Be deducted          2.0         (15-9=6)
(Fraction to be ignored)

Therefore, when play resumes, minimum 6 overs will have to be bowled (fraction to be ignored)

SECOND CALCULATION:

Team batting first is all out at 3.41 pm      

Time left after innings interval:   (3.51 to 4.15=24 mts of play left)

24 /4 (4 mts @ over) = Min 6 overs to be bowled, when play resumes.

Both the above calculations get the same  number of overs, therefore it will be min 6 overs to be bowled.

I have given the calculations as per my knowledge. How did you arrive at 9 overs is not understood. We have to go by BCCI playing condition and not MCC LAw.

Suhas Sapre
(16/2/2016)  

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre