Cricket/Valid appeal

Question
Respected Sir,if ball delivered by bowler hits on striker's pad outside the off stump,( the striker was attempting to play).after hitting striker's pad the ball made contact with strike's bat, but as it was fine contact, except umpire & striker no fielders comes to know this contact with bat. So instead of asking for caught out, the bowler appealed for LBW saying that "lbw..lbw..lbw". Will umpire will give out to striker as out caught even though bowler appealed as "lbw..lbw..lbw"? Is it necessary to appeal as 'how's that?'

Answer
If the bowler appeals specifically for LBW, then the umpire must answer "Not Out".

I would suggest a quiet word after the match explaining to the bowler that he should use the more general term rather than trying to tell the umpire exactly what his job is!

Cricket

Colin Pearson