Cricket/Valid appeal

Respected Sir,if ball delivered by bowler hits on striker's pad outside the off stump,( the striker was attempting to play).after hitting striker's pad the ball made contact with strike's bat, but as it was fine contact, except umpire & striker no fielders comes to know this contact with bat. So instead of asking for caught out, the bowler appealed for LBW saying that "lbw..lbw..lbw". Will umpire will give out to striker as out caught even though bowler appealed as "lbw..lbw..lbw"? Is it necessary to appeal as 'how's that?'

If the bowler appeals specifically for LBW, then the umpire must answer "Not Out".

I would suggest a quiet word after the match explaining to the bowler that he should use the more general term rather than trying to tell the umpire exactly what his job is!

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998