Cricket/error in score

Question
Sir

If during the 19th over, a mistake in scoring of runs is found.
Should umpires wait for the next interval other than drinks to find the error or should they call time and go to find and correct the scores?

As the laws say at least at every interval so they can check it more than that to correct it

Answer
Generally, the score should be corrected as quickly as possible.

Good umpires use a tally counter to monitor the total number of runs.  They must make allowance for the telegraph/scoreboard being slightly slow to display but otherwise should keep it under control.  Such an error should be easy and quick to correct without more than a momentary delay in play.

It will also depend on who finds the error.  If it is the scorers and it is seriously confusing them, then they should immediately notify the umpires and suspend play until it is resolved.

If the error is simply crediting runs to wrong batsman or name of bowler then that can wait until normal interval.

Cricket

Colin Pearson