Cricket/error in score

If during the 19th over, a mistake in scoring of runs is found.
Should umpires wait for the next interval other than drinks to find the error or should they call time and go to find and correct the scores?

As the laws say at least at every interval so they can check it more than that to correct it

Generally, the score should be corrected as quickly as possible.

Good umpires use a tally counter to monitor the total number of runs.  They must make allowance for the telegraph/scoreboard being slightly slow to display but otherwise should keep it under control.  Such an error should be easy and quick to correct without more than a momentary delay in play.

It will also depend on who finds the error.  If it is the scorers and it is seriously confusing them, then they should immediately notify the umpires and suspend play until it is resolved.

If the error is simply crediting runs to wrong batsman or name of bowler then that can wait until normal interval.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998