Cricket/2nd bouncer of the over

As per my understanding 2nd bouncer for the over above shoulder is considered as a no ball which allows the batsman free hit of the next delivery,my question is if the bowler bowls a ball above shoulder height of the batsman but at the same time the ball is down the leg side out of batsman's reach will it be called a wide or a no ball?

The exact regulations about bouncers, beamers and wides are laid down for each competition differently (eg ICC, ICC etc) and are frequently changed.

One of the principles under MCC is that a No Ball overrides a Wide.  Indeed Law 42 about dangerous bowling emphasises that it does not matter whether it is close or distant from the striker, it is still considered dangerous - and No Ball called.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998