Cricket/On Umpiring Exams

Question
Dear Sir,

I am Sandeep Sharma from Bangalore aged 35 Years, playing cricket from the age of 5. I was very much eager to play Cricket for our Country but circumstances didn't help. Presently, I am working for a private firm as a Civil Engineer and am playing for the Company's team.  

Now I am attracted to do Umpiring and did umpiring for the local matches played internally in our Company matches at Bangalore. I am keen to become Umpire now and I have purchased and studying Tom Smith's "Cricket Umpiring and Scoring" and I am thinking to take up Exams as well.

I have enquired Umpiring Association in Bangalore to take membership from them so that it would help me in enhancing skills in Umpiring, unfortunately they aren't responding. Enquired Karnataka State Cricket Association board when exams would be conducted but to no avail they are not responding properly. I am struggling to get details, so thought of asking you.

Could you please let me know which other states would be conducting exams so that I can take up and write. Please let me know on BCCI level 1 exams as well as I am not getting details even after exploring internet several times.

Kindly guide on this regard please. Kindly revert.

Regards

Sandeep Sharma

Answer
Dear Sandeep,

I have come to understand that BCCI level 1 exam is going to be held shortly at the BCCI's affiliated associations across India, but somehow the exam is yet not conducted and delayed for the reasons known to them. But it is going to be held shortly.

You are working in Pvt company at Bangalore and I want you to contact the nearest association with written application. It is very much required of you to register your name with the nearest association and as soon as they receive the dates from BCCI, they will inform all the registered umpires. You can send them a registered post for acknowledgement of receipt.

The local association, too conducts a local seminar for new candidates to educate them towards the preparation of BCCI level 1 exam. It is the foremost duty of that association's umpiring committee to see that they should educate new umpires before the said level 1 exam.

So get your name registered with the local association, and start preparation. You can write to couple of associations around your place. Start your preparation. Read and follow the laws of cricket. Get in touch with the local senior umpire who is known to you and can help you. You need to develop good writing practice, good communication skill in English, need to interpret the laws.

Moreover and important thing is that you are 35 and need to work hard and pass the exam at the very first attempt as you will run out of the age for God knows when the next opportunity comes in your way. So get well prepared and see that you get though the first attempt.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre
Baroda 19/04/2016  

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre