Cricket/When does Cricket ball get dead ?

Question
I read related stuff for my question and I ended up getting same answer that bowl gets dead when ball 'SETTLED' in the hands of Wicket Keeper or Bowler, but I dint get what exactly it means by 'SETTLED'.

Scenario: Faster Bowler bowls the ball. Batsman gets the edge(nick) of bat or pad and caught by wicket keeper. Fielding side appeals for caught behind. In the mean time, wicket keeper reaches near the stumps by running while appealing. Initially batsman came back to crease but when wicket keeper took of the bails, batsman was outside of the crease. Umpires gave not out by saying that ball gets dead. So, then the question pops up When does ball get dead ?

Thanks in Advance.

Answer
I assume that the striker was not out caught.

It is a little difficult to define exactly when it is finally settled.

One factor is that the fielding side are clearly not looking to do anything further.

In your case, if the keeper was coming up with the obvious intention of stumping or running out, then clearly alive.  Especially if the striker was unbalanced.

If he came up to the stumps and allowed his arms to drop whilst waiting for the Not Out and the Striker was waiting casually within his ground, I would think he regarded it as Dead - and so, apparently did the Striker.  Hence the reason that he strolled out to do some gardening.

Obviously if he started running or over balanced, it would be a different story.  

Cricket

Colin Pearson