Cricket/Cricket Statistician

Question
QUESTION: Hi there, this is Karthik Mudaliyar from Mumbai. I've just completed my graduation in BCOM (B&I) in 2015. I'm trying for jobs but not getting what i want.
Just wanted to know how to pursue a career as Cricket Statistician.. I know i may sound strange but yes this is because of my love for Cricket and I guess I'll be happy serving cricket as a statistician rather than doing a job in a field which I don't want to get into.
I'm 21 at the moment, I always loved how these stats come up in cricket and I always wanted to know how do they actually do it. I always followed Mohandas Menon sir on twitter to get some overview about the same. I hope you would help me fulfill my dream. I hope for an early reply from your side and get myself going towards my goal.

Thank you.

ANSWER: Dear Karthik,

Thanks for your question and that you want to take up the job of statistician. This is the toughest ever job and need lot of patience and hard work. You need to have hardware as well as software to compile all the figures. But its a vast subject as far as cricket is concerned. Lot of matches are being played, many more teams playing, and for that you need to work out from the beginning. Mohandas Menon sir is the perfect mentor who can guide you. Before you would become statistician you need to be a scorer so that it will help you to know how the statistics are taking place and how it can be put at one place under different heads.

I would tell you but BCCI need persons like you who can compile statistics and help to cover all the statistics, but it looks very tough. So just think twice, look for the opportunities, but don't overlook your personal career with this hobby. You can settle down with some job and can develop this hobby which you can convert into profession after settling down.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre
15/05/2016

QUESTION: First of all thanks a lot for your answer.. You said i need to start as a scorer at first, so how do i begin with? Do i need to take some training or some courses if yes then which one? Yes yor are right i might have to take up some job at first and eventually take up this hobby as a profession.
I just need to know as to where do I start off with so as to take the necessary steps.

Thank you :)

Answer
Dear Karthik,

You are in Mumbai and you can be in touch with Mumbai cricket association which caters regular classes for both umpires and scorers.You can visit the Wankhede stadium and can meet people in the Office thereby you will get to know all about classes and seminar for the scorer. You also need to have knowledge of cricketing field and cricketing Laws, you can ask for a pocket Cricket Law book from MCA.

Hope you will get good guidance and information from MCA

Suhas Sapre
Baroda 04/06/2016

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre