Cricket/Field position

Question
Respected Sir, Pl explain whether following field position is allowed or not.
1. Fielder positioned at boundary behind bowlers end umpire (in line with both set of stump).
2. Fielder positioned at boundary behind wicket keeper (in line with both set of stump).

Answer
Dear Gurunath,

Thanks for your question.
What is permitted and what is not should be governed by MCC Laws, and that we have to just use common sense for such trifle issues. And there is no Law which prevents such positions. But here one will have to apply common sense.

We have two sight screens applied at both ends for batsmen not to get disturbed while facing any bowers from that end. If a fielder is positioned there just in line with the stumps, that may obstruct the views of striker and therefore he would not like any fielder in front of him. So whether a fielder should be allowed to field in that position depends on how the striker takes while facing delivery. If he is not comfortable with his movement he will ask him to move a side, and that is towards mid off or mid on position. His position can only be decided if he is fielding on either side of the imaginary line joining the two middle stumps at each end. This will have effect on the restriction of on side fields men that should not exceed 5 as far as Limited overs matches are concerned.

Similarly a fielder if positioned behind WK, is likely to pose problems for both umpires and not to the batsmen. Sight screen at both ends not only help the batsmen but also to the Bowler's end umpire as he also needs to concentrate like striker. If a fielder is positioned behind WK, his movements may disturb the umpire's concentration.

Secondly to decide the position of a fielders on the on side behind the popping crease will be a problem for striker's end umpire. The field of play is divided by the imaginary line drawn between centre of the middle stump at both end and therefore if a fielder behind WK is positioned on the onside it will be a breach of rule if there are already two fields men behind the popping crease on the on side and this may result in NO BALL for considering his position on the on side.

So these are the rules whereby such positions can be avoided and normally it is always taken care of automatically.

Hope this is very much clear to you.

Suhas Sapre
23/05/2016 Baroda

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre