Cricket/Timed Out

Dear Sir,

Wicket falls at 3.15.  New incoming batsman does not come in till 3.19.  Umpires ascertain the cause of the action and find there is no refusal to play.  New batsman then come in and take guard at 3.21.

(1) On an appeal for timed out, can the new batsman be given out, in this case?

(2) By how much time should the time for close of play on that day be extended?
(a) by 06 minutes i.e. 3.21 - 3.15 OR
(b) by 03 minutes i.e. 3.21 - 3.18 (3.18 for from the time of last wicket falls) OR
(c) by 02 minutes i.e. 3.21 - 3.19

Be very careful about invoking Law 31 - do not be too officious - be certain that the batting side are trying to waste time.  We have had junior sides with only three pairs of pads between them - two quick wickets cause a problem. gives considerable detail on calculations.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998