Cricket/Law 12

Question
QUESTION: Hi Suhas, just had a Laws questions.
Scenario; 4th innings. Opener retires (as he wants to go down the pub)(Law 2.9(b)). Game continues. Later, on final legal delivery of the match, his side's 9th wicket falls, and they are well behind on runs. What is the result? To be clear: The bowling captain, if asked after the match, did not allow the retired opener to bat again.
Follow-up question: If you think the bowling team won, how was the batting team's innings completed? 12.3(a) or 12.3(b)?
thanks

ANSWER: Dear Jack,

Very good and practical scenario. Thanks for the question.

Law 2.9, (a) & (b) is very clear and taking into this Law, I would advise you as under.

A batsman can retire any time during his innings.

Two types of retirement Umpires would allow both.

First if the batsman retires due to injury, illness or any other unavoidable reasons, he can bat at the fall of a next wicket, which is including injury to the next batsman. Here if he does not resume his innings, his innings is recorded as RETD NOT OUT.If in such circumstances his team has lost 9 wickets and that batsman is unable to resume his innings, his team is considered to have completed its innings and the batsman's innings will be recorded as RETD NOT OUT.

Second if the batsman retires for any reasons other than injury, illness or unavoidable cause, he can only resume his innings with the consent of opposite captain, which the opposing captain can deny and under such circumstances his innings will be recorded as RETD OUT, and if the side has lost 9 wickets, the innings of his side will be recorded as all out.

Fielding side has won the match.

The innings of both above cases will be considered as completed under Law 12.3 (b) which states at the fall of wicket or the retirement of a batsman, further balls remain to be bowled but no further batsman is available to come in.

The outcome of a match may depend on whether an innings is completed or not. There are other occasions when it is important to know if an innings has been completed. When there is situation like this that no batsman remains to come even though balls or overs are still left to be bowled. This can occur only in the event of a batsman at any point of the innings is unable to resume his innings or is not permitted to do so by the opposing captain. The same would be true if the last batsman having been injured earlier, was unable to come in at the fall of the 9th wicket.

Hope this is very much clear to you. Thanks for nice question, Please continue your learning process by asking me good questions and which are too lessons for my refreshing knowledge.

With regards,

Suhas Sapre
Baroda 06/06/2016

QUESTION: Suhas,
Thank you for your prompt answer. If you will please allow, I'd like to follow up.

In the scenario I described, the 9th wicket fell on the last legal delivery of the match. Doesn't this mean 12.3b can't apply, as it states;

---
"(b) at the fall of a wicket or the retirement of a batsman, further balls remain to be bowled but no further batsman is available to come in"
---

No further balls remain to be bowled.

It is only AFTER the match that a retired batman's status is updated to either Retired (Not Out)[Law 2.9a] or Retired (Out)[Law 2.9b].

For Retired (Out)[Law 2.9b], the bowling captain must first deny the Retired batsman the right to bat again.

So I'm wondering what the process would be?
Would it be; 9th wicket, Umpire calls time, they walk off, Umpire asks bowling captain if retired batsman was allowed to bat again (if "yes", a draw. If "no, a win for the bowling team). This seems a bit strange to me.

thanks

Answer
Dear Jack,

Let me apologise in answering your follow up question a bit late for some or other reasons.

This is the question which involves two different Laws, what they say I will try to explain.

Law 2:9 Batsman Retiring:

There are two different conditions for retiring batsman to resume his innings:

(i) If a batsman retires because of illness, injury or any other unavoidable cause.

He can resume his innings at the fall of another wicket or the retirement of another batsman. If he does not resume his innings his innings will be recorded as Retired Not out.

(ii) If a batsman retires for any other reason (other than above), he may resume his innings only with the consent of the opposing captain. And if for any reasons, he does not resume his innings, it is to be recorded as Retd Out. The opposing captain can, by right. refuse him to resume his innings.

Law 12:3: COMPLETED INNINGS:

i.   When the side has lost all 10 wickets , or
ii.  When at the fall of a wicket or the retirement of a batsman, further balls remain to be bowled and         
    no further batsman is available to come in., or
iii. When an innings is declared
iv.  When an innings is forefieted
v.   When there is no time left nor any overs left, even though the side has not lost all the wickets.    
    (this is as agreed before the toss)

So apart from the side being all out, the situation of there being no further batsman to come in,although further balls remain to be bowled, will occur if a batsman has retired at some point in the innings and either is unable to resume his innings, or is not permitted to do so by the opposing captain.

The same would be true if the last batsman having been injured earlier, was unable to come in at the fall of the 9th wicket.

In fact when a batsman is injured during the innings and when 9 wickets are down, both umpires will have to ensure whether the injured batsman is going to resume his innings or not before deciding the result. If in the event, he is not able to resume his innings his innings will be recorded as RETD NOT OUT, but the team will be considered to be all out and accordingly the result will be recorded.

Only the difference is that a batsman who retires for other reasons and is not permitted to resume his innings and when 9 wickets are down his innings will be recorded as RETD OUT and the innings will be considered as a completed innings.

Hope this is very much clear to you. Don't get confused.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre
Baroda 29/06/2016

Cricket

Suhas L Sapre