Cricket/Question about the interpretation of the lbw law

Hi sir I am 16 and I am from Howrah , West Bengal.I am a huge cricket fan but I have no playing experience.It will be highly appreciated if you kindly clear my doubts.
Here's my question.
According to the laws of cricket a delivery which bounces twice on the pitch before reaching the striker's popping crease is legal.In case of a lbw appeal the umpire has to take account of the pitch of the ball.But neither the laws nor appendix D gives any clear definition of the pitch of the ball.So what should an umpire do in case a lbw appeal is made from a double bouncing ball?Should he consider the first bounce or the second bounce or both the bounces legal or what?
Imagine the first bounce is outside the line of leg stump and the second is in line between wicket amd wicket or inversely it first bounces in line between wicket and wicket and then outside the line of leg stump and all other conditions for a lbw decision against the striker have been satisfied.So what should be the umpire's decision and why?
I asked this question to you earlier however did'nt get an answer.So I am asking you once again.

Hi Udita,

Thanks for your tricky but a nice question. But let me apologise for taking a bit too long to reply the same.

Two different Laws are involved in your question, and both of them are silent on what is to be decided when ball pitches and bounces twice before hitting the batsman on the pad. When the Laws are silent it is always Law Number 43 comes into picture.

Law : 24.6 Ball bounces twice before reaching the batsman, its not a NO BALL.
         Ball bounces more than twice, it is not a FAIR delivery.

Law: 36: Ball pitching outside the leg stump cannot claim a wicket of LBW.
        Always first impact is to be considered for LBW.
        (i) Pad and bat - OUT (ii) Bat and pad - NOT OUT.

So why should not we consider the first pitching of the ball?

(i) Ball pitching (first) outside the leg stump, then happens to bounce back in line with the stumps before hitting the striker on the pad.  
Are you justifying in giving him out LBW? (No)

(ii) The ball first pitches outside the off stump and further pitches in line with the stumps. Since the first pitching out side the off stump but as impact is between the line of the two sets of wickets, you can raise your finger.

(iii) In the above case, if the ball happens to pitch outside the off stump and again pitches and bounces outside the line of the off stump, striker attempting to play the ball but could not contact and ball hits on the pad and there is an appeal, what are you going to do? Since the impact is outside the line of the off stump and striker attempting to play it, you are not going to give him out.

So always bring Law 43 of Common Sense and  try to act accordingly, you will find it easy, isn't it?

Hope this is clear to you.

With Regards,

Suhas Sapre
Baroda 29/06/2016

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.