Cricket/cricket in spectacles

sir i wear spectacle  can i start cricket professional without problem

There is nothing in MCC Laws of Cricket to prohibit the wearing of spectacles.

Indeed a number of professional players do so although many of them prefer to use contact lenses instead.

Obviously it does depend on the exact defect in your vision.  For example, I think some forms of astigmatism might cause you to misjudge the direction of the ball and this could be dangerous.

If you suffer from anything more than simple short sightedness, then I suggest you consult your optician.

ADDITIONALLY - please check that the glass in your spectacles will not break into sharp pieces that would cut your eye.  

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998